Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wizards First Rule

Finished this book today.

This is decidedly a book I would categorize book-to-read-inbetween-robert-jordan books. I should come up for a word for that...it's a jorbookdan...nope.
Anyways, back when I had to wait between book publications of the Wheel of Time series, I would fill my time with miscellaneous books and some were genuinely good. But many were books that I would read that were just good enough to get my mind off the fact that I couldn't be reading a Jordan book atm. 

Goodkind seems to be an architectural writer. He goes from bullet point to bullet point of scenes in the book that he wishes to reach and then goes, sometimes all too conveniently, to the next. The magic system is interesting because Goodkind holds all the cards and you can't really know what's going to happen next, which can be bad as well because then the reader just doesn't feel like...well the reader begins to depend on the fact that some miraculous thing is going to save the protagonist, and it does! Let's just say when all the rules began to be broken I began to figure out was going to happen next, and I usually just like to be taken along for the ride in books I read...yeah...

Also there are just some plain weird things that happen in this book. That's what happens when you describe torture scenes I guess. But he skillfully stopped just before my threshold of just putting the book down, which is impressive considering.

I'll probably pick the series up in the future again. But at the moment I am going to search for other things on my list of things to read. I'm turning to Terry Pratchett next. I need some comedy in my life and his fantasy satire may be just what I need. Have I mentioned how many Terry's there are in sci-fi/fantasy literature? It's ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment