Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Oliver Twist

Finished a classic today. I try to be cultured and read some oldies but goodies. And there's a reason this book stands the test of time. Dicken's prose is unparallel. And the simple story of an orphan boy does not disappoint. 

Dickens always balances the bad that happens in his books with the good. I know I can always trust him with that and my heart. I think that's what makes classics. Realistic bad things happen to the protagonist and then good things happen in the end to give us hope and change us to be better people (realistically too of course).

But one thing that's been bothering me lately are twists and reveals. Big reveals in movies and books are starting to annoy me and I find that odd. I love them, but maybe I've just had an overdose of late? I mean Dickens is jam-packed with 'em and I'm also reading 'Wizard's First Rule' and there's almost a reveal with every chapter! (Goodkind likes to keep his knowledge to himself til just when he needs to reveal it. I'm sure he uses foreshadowing too but I haven't finished the book/series yet so I couldn't tell ya).

But what about LOTR? I don't remember big reveals too often and it's a classic right? I need to go back and read it I guess. I'm sure Tolkien is not immune to the literary hat trick. But I mean I still need to reread 'The Hobbit' so I'll have to put this on the backburner.

Can a good series be written without reveals? I think so. I shall find one that I might mentally clense the pallet per say. I hate it when I misjudge a book simply because I'm in a off mood. I once thought I did that to the Ender's game series but nope...just don't like how Orson Scott Card writes and ya know, I just think we all have a certain author we just don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment